Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mahalia Jackson

In class last Tuesday we briefly discussed Mahalia Jackson and American gospel music. I knew that in my music library I had one song of hers, one which I actually liked a lot. Upon further research I discovered that she sang "How I Got Over" during the 1963 March On Washington right before Martin Luther King Jr. gave his "I Have a Dream" speech. I'm surprised that she is not taught more in American History or Music History for that matter, because she was obviously a symbol and active member of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s. She had also befriended Martin Luther King Jr. earlier in Alabama and supported him throughout his life and career. They were colleagues and friends and turned to each other for opinions. He actually requested she sing "I've Been 'Buked and I've Been Scorned" as well and she encouraged him to speak of his "dream" having known his speeches. In the videos of his speech you can see her say something to him and then he follows her advice, putting aside his notes and developing his dream more.

Here is an old video of "How I Got Over" at the March On Washington:


Here is another video of Mahalia singing 'How I Got Over" live


Here is a video of her singing "Battle of Jericho" at another one of King's speeches and she's making him smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment